The Friends of the Westerly Memorial Library and Wilcox Park periodically post below donated books for sale. We list books of local interest, rare books and unique books. All books sent via Media Mail. A minimum shiping and handling fee is added. Local purchasers may pick up items at the library. If you require more information, or wish to purchase, please contact Margy Long (
). You can find out more about the Friends and upcoming book sales here.
1. A Dog of Flanders, Ouida (Louisa de la Ramee) illustrated by Harvey Fuller, Albert Whitman Co., Chicago, 1927, 1st ed., dust jacket intact but ragged. Book in good condition with bright illustrations and large print. 128 pgs. $10
2. Yugoslavia, Nagel Travel Guide Series, Nagel Publishers, Geneva, 2nd ed., 1968. 576 pgs., 31 plans in b&w., 32 pgs of plans in color, 1 road map of Yugosalavia, 2 folding maps in color. $12
3. Hot Countries, Alec Waugh, The Literary Guild, NY, 1930. Woodcuts throughout by Lynn Ward. Green cloth cover, no d.j., gently worn. A good reading cope. $8
4. The Life of Lord Fisher of Kilverstone, 2 vols., Admiral Bacon, Doubleday, Doran & Co., NY, 1929, Red cloth boards. Both volumes clean, in good condition. $15
5. SOLD Mortimer Mouse and the NEW Ocean House, Ardith M. Schneider, author and illustrator, 36 pgs. Self published with help from the Westerly Preservation Soc. Clean, glossy hard board cover. Like new. Recent. $10
6. Elsie Dinsmore, Martha Finley, Howard C. Christy, illustrator, Dodd, Mead & Co., NY, 1896, 342 pgs. Tweed cloth cover with gilt and green lettering & decoration. Spine bumped, contents clean and tight. $15
7. The Jingle Book, Carolyn Wells, Macmillan Co., N.Y., 1899. A charming book of children’s poems, well loved, i.e. a worn copy. B&W line illustrations by Oliver Herford, many in the style of the Gibson Girl. Worn cloth hard cover, 124 pgs. $30
8. SOLD A Wind to Shake the World, The Story of the 1938 Hurricane, Everett S. Allen, Little Brown & Co., Boston, 1976, Fourth Printing. Hard bound cloth copy with dust jacket, chipped at top of spine, 370 pgs. $8
9. The Covered Bridge, An Old American Landmark, Herbert Wheaton Congdon, many b&w photographs by Edmund Homer Royce, Alfred A. Knopf, NY, 1946. Red, cloth board cover, 147 pgs, with bibliography and index. $8
10.Invitation to Complex Analysis, R.P.Boas, Random House, NY, 1987. Like new copy with d.j. 1st ed. Ideal text for a first course in complex analysis covering all the essentials including optional topics and applications to math and physics. 347 pgs. $20
11.New Earrings, Nicolas Estrada, Thames & Hudson, NY, 2013. 500+ designs from around the world. 530 color earring illustrations with an index of artists. 243 pgs. Paper. $12
12.The Battle of Jutland, John Buchan, T.Nelson & Sons, London, 1916. 44 pgs, cloth bound. Front fold-out sketch of the battle, lose but complete. $10
Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Voitech Kubasta, Leicester Brown Watson, 1983. 6 double page colored pop-up pages with all pop-ups intact. Hardcover, slightly bent. Book is 10x7 1/2”.
14.Rules and Instructions for the Maintenance of the Way and Structures, printed by The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad Company, effective September 1st, 1916. Small, 3 7/8 x 6 1/2”, red clothbound, 349 pgs. Index and supplementary data including drawings, tables and misc. information. FOR THE RAILROAD BUFF. $20
15.The Luck of Roaring Camp, and other Sketches, Francis Bret Harte, Fields, Osgood, & Co., Boston, 1870. Red, hardcover 256 pgs., 4 1/2 x7”. Spine and corners bumped, gold embossed title on spine faded. Otherwise good copy. $18
16. Tilop’s Mahamudra Upadesha, Sangye Nyenpa, Sharnbhala pub., US, 2014. New book in fine condition with pristine dust jacket. An explanation of the Indian Mahasiddha Tilopa’s renowned Gangama Mahamudra meditation instructions, given in a traditional Tibetan context by one of its most accomplished contemporary masters. In English. 239 pgs., 6 1/8 x 8 1/4”. $22
17. Camp and Trail Methods, E. Kreps, A.R.Harding, Columbus, OH. 1910, 1st ed., 273 pgs., 5 x 6 3/4”. Lose binding, discolored dark green cover. Interesting mainly because of historical approach to camping and 7 pages of advertising in back. $18
18. Veterans War Stories 1933-1993, Charlestown, Stonington, North Stonington, and Hopkinton Rhode Island, The Westerly Historical Society, The Utter Co., Westerly, RI., 1993. Good condition, no d.j., 235 pgs. $175
19. Shadows of the Elms: Reminiscences of Moses Brown School 17843-1984, Frank E. Fuller, ed., privately printed, 1983, B&W photographs, 239 pgs. A clean hard cover copy, no dust jacket. $10
20. The Great Disaster August 18 - 19, 1955 in Winsted, Connecticut, USA., published and compiled by John M.Slocum and W. Summers, Jr., Winsted, CT , paper back, appropriately with some water damage to cover. B&W photos of the flood in Winsted.
21. The Stonington Cook Book. Bicentennial edition 1776-1976. Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavor, Second Congregational Church, Stonington, CT. Book & Tackle Shop, publisher, 1975. Paper back, 95 pgs. $8
22. SOLD Rhode Island Legends: Haunted Hallows & Monsters’ Lairs, M.E.Reilly-McGreen, History Press, Charleston, SC, 2012. Paper back, 125 pgs., 6 x 9”, in good condition. $8.
23. The Register of Wooden Boats 2005-2006, WoodenBoat pub., Torrington CT, sturdy paperback with some slight bump on top of spine. 8 3/4 x 7 1/4”, 696 pgs. Contains photo index, index by designer and boat type, and index by former name. $30
24.Annals of America. Pub. Enclyclopedia Brittania, 1977. Incomplete set. Vol 1-20; vol 10 & 11 are missing. The Annals contain publications such as John Dean’s Watergate Testimony, Antonin Dvorčak’s “Music in America”, the 1898 American Ultimatum to Spain, and Alexander Hamilton’s “Arguments for Increasing the Power of the Federal Government”. $10 for the set.
Legends of Charlemagne, Thomas Bulfinch, illustrated by NC Wyeth, 1924. Ex-library book, publisher’s page missing. Four color inlay to front cover slightly scuffed. Book hard cover, no d.j., shows wear. Although the boards are firmly in poace there is some separation at the hinges and a split along the junction at the hinge. Eight full page color illustrations and end papers by the illustrator. $30
The Real Log Cabin, Chilson D. Aldrich The MacMillan Co., NY, 1942. Pebbled dk green boards with gold embossing. Spine bumped and some foxing, otherwise fine. Dedication reads: “ to The Beloved Man of History, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, who has enshrined the log cabin in the hearts of his people.” $22
Imperial Germany, A Critical Study of Fact and Character, Sidney Whitman, Bernhard Tauchnitz, publisher, Liepzig, Germany, 1891. Maroon boards with gold embossing, no d.j., many pages uncut. Good condition. $15
The Divine Art, J.D. Townsend, Abingdon Press, NY, 1931. Hardcover, suede cloth with gilt lettering. Inscribed by owner in fronts piece. A tight, good copy. $12
44. A Charlie Brown Christmas and It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown by Charles M. Schultz.
Pub. 1965 and 1967, respectively by United Feature Syndicate. These gently used children’s hardcovers contain vibrant illustrations by Bill Melendez-Lee Mendelsohn. There is wear and tear on corners and spine. Fair-good condition. $3 each; $5 for the pair.
45. The Story Road, Gertrude Hildebrandt. Pub. 1952 John C. Winston. 169 pp. This is a beautifully illustrated children’s educational book containing 13 stories. It is in fair condition, with the name of the former student owner taped inside. $13.
46. The Lieutenant River, by Susan H. Ely and Elizabeth B. Plimpton
Pub 1991 by Lyme Historical Society and Florence Griswold Museum. 71 pp. Excellent account of 300 years of history of the Old Lyme Region. Very good condition. $6
47. Eisenhower: Soldier and President by Stephen E. Ambrose
American Political Biographer Press. 2007. 635 pp. This book is still in shrink-wrap. $40.00
48. “The Old West” Time-Life Books, 1978. We have 5 volumes of a 26-volume set. They are: “The Texans:, “The Scouts”, “The Frontiersmen”, “The Mexican War” and “The End and The Myth”. Embossed, stamped, beautifully illustrated. $5 each or all five for $20.
HARDBOUND MAGAZINES, 2 partial sets:
Scientific American, vol. from 1935, 1937, 1946, & 1947. 6 months of each year. Very good condition. $5 for the box.
The Survey Midmonthly Magazine. vol from 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1947, 1948. Very good condition. $5 for the box.
DETECTIVE BOOK CLUB Series. Hardbound. 1955. Excellent condition. Each volume contains 3 stories. Very good condition. $5 for the box.