Search the catalog for books, movies, magazines and more!
The Friends of Westerly Library and Wilcox Park have been the fundraising and volunteering champions since 1972. They sponsor special programs on art, history, music, and readings by renowned authors. In 2005, they established the Friends Endowment Fund with the interest going towards the operating costs of the Library and Park.
The Friends of Westerly Library and Wilcox Park are best known for the book sales they hold to benefit the library. Currently they are held in the summer and winter. All proceeds from the sales go towards the purchase of new materials for the Library. Donated books are accepted at any time; please drop off donations at the Circulation Desk. If you would like to volunteer to help at our book sales, please leave your name and phone number at the Circulation Desk.
Our next book sale will be in July 2018.
For questions about the Friends, or to Volunteer, contact Maria, Membership Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
To join the Friends of the Library, please use the attached form.
Thank you for your Support!
The Friends of the Westerly Memorial Library and Wilcox Park periodically post below donated books for sale. We list books of local interest, rare books and unique books. If you require more information, or wish to purchase, please contact Margy Long (email@example.com) or Deb Howson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. A Dog of Flanders, Ouida (Louisa de la Ramee) illustrated by Harvey Fuller, Albert Whitman Co., Chicago, 1927, 1st ed., dust jacket intact but ragged. Book in good condition with bright illustrations and large print. 128 pgs. $10
2. Yugoslavia, Nagel Travel Guide Series, Nagel Publishers, Geneva, 2nd ed., 1968. 576 pgs., 31 plans in b&w., 32 pgs of plans in color, 1 road map of Yugosalavia, 2 folding maps in color. $12
3. Hot Countries, Alec Waugh, The Literary Guild, NY, 1930. Woodcuts throughout by Lynn Ward. Green cloth cover, no d.j., gently worn. A good reading cope. $8
4. The Life of Lord Fisher of Kilverstone, 2 vols., Admiral Bacon, Doubleday, Doran & Co., NY, 1929, Red cloth boards. Both volumes clean, in good condition. $15
5. Mortimer Mouse and the NEW Ocean House, Ardith M. Schneider, author and illustrator, 36 pgs. Self published with help from the Westerly Preservation Soc. Clean, glossy hard board cover. Like new. Recent. $10
6. Elsie Dinsmore, Martha Finley, Howard C. Christy, illustrator, Dodd, Mead & Co., NY, 1896, 342 pgs. Tweed cloth cover with gilt and green lettering & decoration. Spine bumped, contents clean and tight. $15
7. The Jingle Book, Carolyn Wells, Macmillan Co., N.Y., 1899. A charming book of children’s poems, well loved, i.e. a worn copy. B&W line illustrations by Oliver Herford, many in the style of the Gibson Girl. Worn cloth hard cover, 124 pgs. $30
8.A Wind to Shake the World, The Story of the 1938 Hurricane, Everett S. Allen, Little Brown & Co., Boston, 1976, Fourth Printing. Hard bound cloth copy with dust jacket, chipped at top of spine, 370 pgs. $8
9. The Covered Bridge, An Old American Landmark, Herbert Wheaton Congdon, many b&w photographs by Edmund Homer Royce, Alfred A. Knopf, NY, 1946. Red, cloth board cover, 147 pgs, with bibliography and index. $8
10.Invitation to Complex Analysis, R.P.Boas, Random House, NY, 1987. Like new copy with d.j. 1st ed. Ideal text for a first course in complex analysis covering all the essentials including optional topics and applications to math and physics. 347 pgs. $20
11.New Earrings, Nicolas Estrada, Thames & Hudson, NY, 2013. 500+ designs from around the world. 530 color earring illustrations with an index of artists. 243 pgs. Paper. $12
12.The Battle of Jutland, John Buchan, T.Nelson & Sons, London, 1916. 44 pgs, cloth bound. Front fold-out sketch of the battle, lose but complete. $10
Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Voitech Kubasta, Leicester Brown Watson, 1983. 6 double page colored pop-up pages with all pop-ups intact. Hardcover, slightly bent. Book is 10x7 1/2”.
14.Rules and Instructions for the Maintenance of the Way and Structures, printed by The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad Company, effective September 1st, 1916. Small, 3 7/8 x 6 1/2”, red clothbound, 349 pgs. Index and supplementary data including drawings, tables and misc. information. FOR THE RAILROAD BUFF. $20
15.The Luck of Roaring Camp, and other Sketches, Francis Bret Harte, Fields, Osgood, & Co., Boston, 1870. Red, hardcover 256 pgs., 4 1/2 x7”. Spine and corners bumped, gold embossed title on spine faded. Otherwise good copy. $18
16. Tilop’s Mahamudra Upadesha, Sangye Nyenpa, Sharnbhala pub., US, 2014. New book in fine condition with pristine dust jacket. An explanation of the Indian Mahasiddha Tilopa’s renowned Gangama Mahamudra meditation instructions, given in a traditional Tibetan context by one of its most accomplished contemporary masters. In English. 239 pgs., 6 1/8 x 8 1/4”. $22
17. Camp and Trail Methods, E. Kreps, A.R.Harding, Columbus, OH. 1910, 1st ed., 273 pgs., 5 x 6 3/4”. Lose binding, discolored dark green cover. Interesting mainly because of historical approach to camping and 7 pages of advertising in back. $18
18. Veterans War Stories 1933-1993, Charlestown, Stonington, North Stonington, and Hopkinton Rhode Island, The Westerly Historical Society, The Utter Co., Westerly, RI., 1993. Good condition, no d.j., 235 pgs. $175
19. Shadows of the Elms: Reminiscences of Moses Brown School 17843-1984, Frank E. Fuller, ed., privately printed, 1983, B&W photographs, 239 pgs. A clean hard cover copy, no dust jacket. $10
20. The Great Disaster August 18 - 19, 1955 in Winsted, Connecticut, USA., published and compiled by John M.Slocum and W. Summers, Jr., Winsted, CT , paper back, appropriately with some water damage to cover. B&W photos of the flood in Winsted.
21. The Stonington Cook Book. Bicentennial edition 1776-1976. Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavor, Second Congregational Church, Stonington, CT. Book & Tackle Shop, publisher, 1975. Paper back, 95 pgs. $8
22. Rhode Island Legends: Haunted Hallows & Monsters’ Lairs, M.E.Reilly-McGreen, History Press, Charleston, SC, 2012. Paper back, 125 pgs., 6 x 9”, in good condition. $8.
23. The Register of Wooden Boats 2005-2006, WoodenBoat pub., Torrington CT, sturdy paperback with some slight bump on top of spine. 8 3/4 x 7 1/4”, 696 pgs. Contains photo index, index by designer and boat type, and index by former name. $30
24.Annals of America. Pub. Enclyclopedia Brittania, 1977. Incomplete set. Vol 1-20; vol 10 & 11 are missing. The Annals contain publications such as John Dean’s Watergate Testimony, Antonin Dvorčak’s “Music in America”, the 1898 American Ultimatum to Spain, and Alexander Hamilton’s “Arguments for Increasing the Power of the Federal Government”. $10 for the set.