About Our Technology and Makerspace Offerings
Westerly Library and Wilcox Park strives to support our community members in all aspects of their lives. To help support community members, we maintain a staffed computer lab where anyone can receive basic technology assistance and training, and a Makerspace where anyone is welcome to experiment and get in touch with their creative side.
What is a Makerspace?
Makerspaces are community spaces where people can explore all aspects of crafts and making, using tools that range from the cutting edge of technology to conventional. People can work on their projects collaboratively or solo. Our makerspace is stocked with a variety of tools and equipment for people to use, and staffed by a group of enthusiastic employees, each with their own areas of expertise to help you learn.
Please schedule an appointment with our staff to use or learn more about any equipment.
- Audio Recording station: Microphone and electronic keyboard, suitable for hobbyist recording
- Laser Cutter/Engraver: Cuts and etches various materials (most commonly wood), using digital designs or hand drawn sketches.
- 3D Printer: Builds complex shapes using plastic and digital designs
- VHS to DVD conversion Station: Converts home video VHS tapes into digital format on a DVD.
- Audio Conversion Station: Converts records and cassette tapes to digital formats.
- Slide/Photo Conversion Station: Converts slides, photographs, and negatives into digital formats.
- Sewing Machines
- Video/Image Editing Station: Allows editing and creation of digital images and videos.